Tuesday, April 20, 2010

"The Battle of the Labyrinth"

I've been running from my problems by hiding in my books. This isn't the healthiest coping strategy, but it did mean that I read The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan in less than twelve hours yesterday. And now I'm here to chat randomly about it. And when I say randomly, I mean randomly.

But first, this is the fourth book of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. I wrote about the book series previously in this post.

Now, on to the random stuff.

WARNING: MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD

I just knew that Rachel Elizabeth Dare would be in later books!

And I think it's silly that Annabeth was jealous of her. Then again I've never been jealous of a guy. Oh, wait, that isn't strictly true...

~~~~~~~

The time where Percy winds up on Calypso's island is...I dunno. It seems so outside of the story. Yet it fits, somehow.

And while I was reading that part I couldn't help but think of the Calypso in Pirates of the Caribbean. The character is so different.

~~~~~~~

It is SO COOL that Mt. St. Helens is in the book!!! I've lived around Portland pretty much my whole life, and that volcano is visible from the Portland area when trees and ridges aren't in the way.

When they talked about the volcano being active recently I checked the publishing date: 2008. That's about when Mt. St. Helens started doing her thing recently. It looks like someone did their homework before writing the book.

I'm rather fond of the volcano, in case you hadn't guessed. Maybe I should do a post just about her (the mountain), to talk about the history and how it seems (to me) to fit with the story.

~~~~~~~

I love at the end when Poseidon meets Sally's boyfriend and calls him Blowfish. It might not be so funny if that weren't exactly what Percy had called him in the previous book. Rather amusing.

~~~~~~~

When Percy and Poseidon are talking at the end, Poseidon tells Percy that he's his favorite son. Somehow that doesn't sound like great parenting to me. I mean, aren't parents not supposed to have favorites?

And what about the sand dollar? What role will that play in the next book?

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Today there's a big post about this series over at http://ewitch-virtualcoven.blogspot.com and thanks to you, Sarita, I knew already what they were talking about! It sounds like everyone loves Percy Jackson and the Olympians!

I hid in books for most of my childhood and teenage years. While not ideal, it's much better than hiding in drugs, alcohol or other self-destructive behaviours. But you will take steps to deal with your problems and then everything will turn out well for you! I know it will!

Sarita Rucker said...

Yeah, I know my books are better than drugs and other "solutions" I might find to my problems, and that's nice to know.

Thanks for sharing the link. I'll have to check it out!

Labels

a book turned into something else (11) adult (67) Alaya Dawn Johnson (2) Andre Norton (1) Andy MacDonald (1) Angie Sage (5) Anita Diamant (3) Anne McCaffrey (3) Aric McKeown (2) art (2) audio book (10) Avi (1) banned / challenged books (7) Bible (8) Bill Amend (1) Bill Martin Jr. (1) Bill Wisher (1) book mending (1) book review (23) book signings (1) Brendan Fraser (1) Brian Jacques (7) C.S. Lewis (3) captive narrative (2) Caroline B. Cooney (2) Catherine Murdock (1) Charles Dickens (1) Charles Vess (4) Charlotte Brontë (1) chart / diagram / whatever (3) Cheryl Schwartz (1) children's lit (1) Chris Speyer (2) Christopher Paolini (27) classism (2) comedy (1) comedy (drama) (2) comics (4) Cornelia Funke (6) correcting myself (1) cover art (7) Cynthia Kadohata (2) D.H. Lawrence (1) Dan Brown (1) Daniel L. Schacter (2) Daniel Loxton (1) Daniel M. Wegner (2) Daniel T. Gilbert (2) David Abram (3) David C. Cook (1) David Levithan (1) Debora Geary (1) Diana Hacker (1) Doug Mauss (3) Douglas Adams (2) Dr. Seuss (1) dragons (3) drama (10) dreams (6) dreams / visions (7) dystopian (1) E.M. Forster (1) early books / book binding / book history / etc. (1) Emily Dickinson (1) environment (1) Eoin Colfer (10) Eric Carle (1) Ernest Hemingway (2) essay (4) Esther M. Friesner (1) fairy tale retold (1) fan art (7) fantasy (126) fantasy -- historical (2) fantasy -- urban (4) fiction (46) fiction -- historical (1) Frank Herbert (4) Fritz Klein (1) G. B. Trudeau (1) gaming (1) Gardner Dozois (4) Garth Nix (8) gender roles (2) Geoff Dyer (2) George Orwell (1) Geronimo Stilton (1) graphic novel (13) H. G. Wells (2) Hank Green (1) Harper Lee (1) Herman Melville (2) historical fantasy (7) historical fiction (29) Hollis Shiloh (1) horror (2) Hugo Petrus (1) humor (2) inconsistencies (4) it ain't real syndrome (2) J. Jacques (1) J. K. Rowling (9) J.D. Salinger (1) J.R.R. Tolkien (8) Jack Dann (4) Jack London (1) James Clavell (7) James Hutchings (1) Jane Austen (15) Jaroslav Pelikan (1) Jean Cassels (1) Jeanne DePrau (1) Jeff Smith (7) Jen Delyth (1) Jenny Erpenbeck (2) Jim Butcher (12) Jim Smiley (1) Joanne Bertin (1) Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1) John Green (8) John R. Erickson (4) John William Waterhouse (1) Jonathan Stroud (3) Juliet Marillier (13) just me rambling (2) juvenile lit (17) K.A. Applegate (2) Kage Baker (1) Kelly McCullough (2) kids literature (2) Kirby Larson (1) Kristen Britain (8) L.M. Montgomery (1) Lem Pew (2) Leo Tolstoy (1) Leslie Silko (4) LGBTQIA (9) LHoD (32) Llewellyn (1) Louise Erdrich (3) made me cry (2) magic (8) manga (1) Marion Zimmer Bradley (1) Mark Twain (1) Mary E. Pearson (1) Mary Nethery (1) masks (1) Meg Cabot (3) memoir (2) Mercedes Lackey (2) Michael Walters (1) movies (13) music / video (7) music / youtube (12) my crushes on fictional characters (7) my predictions (14) mystery (2) mythology (1) names (3) Nancy Butler (1) Nancy Resnick (1) Naomi Novik (2) narrator review (2) Nathaniel Hawthorne (2) Nathaniel Parker (1) Native American (9) natural disasters (1) nature / wildlife (1) non fiction (24) Nora Roberts (1) Northrop Frye (2) notes (6) Octavia E. Butler (1) Pam Jenoff (1) Pamela Frierson (7) Paul M. Kramer (1) Peggy V. Beck (1) Peter S. Beagle (1) pets / animals (4) Philip Pullman (2) poetry (10) questions (16) Rachel Pollack (1) racism (9) Randa Abdel-Fattah (2) Randall Frakes (2) Ray Bradbury (2) reading challenges (12) reading list (3) Rebecca Z Shafir (2) reference book (1) religion / spirituality (11) religion / spirituality / mythology (15) Rick Riordan (8) Robert A. Heinlein (4) Robert Frost (1) Robert M. Pirsig (2) romance (13) Ruth S. Noel (1) Sappho (1) Sarah Darer Littman (3) science fantasy (5) science fiction (66) Sergio Cariello (3) Seth Grahame-Smith (1) sexism (1) sexual violence (2) Shakespeare (13) Sharon Olds (1) Shaun Hutson (1) Sherman Alexie (9) Shirley Jackson (1) short story (5) signed book (1) six word novels (1) Stephenie Meyer (12) Susan Cooper (1) Susan Fletcher (1) Suzanne Collins (1) Tamora Pierce (44) Taylor Mali (1) Terminator (9) Terry Pratchet (3) textbooks (1) Thanhha Lai (1) Tim Curry (1) Tim Hamilton (1) Tom Fischbach (1) totally random (1) tragedy (drama) (5) translated literature (8) Trudi Canavan (1) urban fantasy (9) Ursula K. le Guin (47) vampires (2) Vanessa Sorensen (1) Victor Hugo (1) Virtual Read-Out (2) visions (3) werewolves (3) what I'm reading (9) what's on my nightstand (1) writing to an author (1) written for school (8) Yevgeny Zamyatin (3) young adult (61) Zack Whedon (1)