Friday, March 19, 2010

Top ten books -- post 1

I found out from Moonrat, over at Editorial Ass, that Publishers Weekly has announced their top ten novels for this year. And guess what? All of the authors are men.

Moonrat is rather irritated to say the least, and I think with good reason. There are plenty of good women writers out there. Why didn't at least one of them make the list? Moonrat (and others) are thinking this is sexism, and I am inclined to agree with them.

You can take a look at Moonrat's post for more details, but basically there has been a challenge put out for bloggers to declare their own top ten novels of the year. I must say, I rather like this idea. :)

However, there's a slight little problem. I've been busy with schoolwork, and haven't been reading too many newly published books this year. So, rather than naming my favorite top ten of the year, I'll attempt to name my favorite top ten overall. And I say I'll "attempt to" do this because it's rather tough to make up my mind. In fact, if you ask me to make this list again tomorrow, it might be slightly different!

By the way, as I'm making my decisions I'm realizing that I'm having a hard time choosing. There are some authors that I love so much that I'm having a really hard time choosing just one of their books. For this reason, I usually give people my favorite authors rather than my favorite books. I'll limit my list to one book per author, however.

So here's my list top ten books, in no particular order. And because I don't do to well at explaining books, I'll just give you the title, author, genre, and maybe a comment or two about the particular author.


The Burning Island: A Journey Through Myth and History in Volcano Cuntry, Hawai'i
by Pamela Frierson
Non-fiction

This book is so good. I mention it in this post.








Artemis Fowl
by Eoin Colfer
Fantasy/Science fiction

I like all of his Artemis Fowl books, at varying degrees. This is the first one.









Cybele's Secrete
by Juliet Marillier
Historical fantasy

OMG this is one of my TOP favorite authors...I am currently reading her latest book, Heart's Blood.








Wild Magic
by Tamora Pierce
Fantasy

Really, I think I love all her stories about Tortall characters equally. It's just that it's her Immortals quartet that I'm reading right now, so this is the one I'm listing.

Yes, I know I said that I'm currently reading Heart's Blood. I'm taking a break from this one to read that one. But I'll get back to this one. :)




Sabriel
by Garth Nix
Fantasy/Science fiction

Ok, it's his Abhorsen trilogy that I really love, of which this is the first.

By the way, I'm currently listening to this one. I really love my audio books. :) They help my brain calm down as I'm going to sleep.






It's getting late, so I'll finish up my list another time. Probably tomorrow. Sometime soon, anyways! :)

*******

This was first posted on my blog A College Girl's Days on 11/14/09

No comments:

Labels

a book turned into something else (11) adult (67) Alaya Dawn Johnson (2) Andre Norton (1) Andy MacDonald (1) Angie Sage (5) Anita Diamant (3) Anne McCaffrey (3) Aric McKeown (2) art (2) audio book (10) Avi (1) banned / challenged books (7) Bible (8) Bill Amend (1) Bill Martin Jr. (1) Bill Wisher (1) book mending (1) book review (23) book signings (1) Brendan Fraser (1) Brian Jacques (7) C.S. Lewis (3) captive narrative (2) Caroline B. Cooney (2) Catherine Murdock (1) Charles Dickens (1) Charles Vess (4) Charlotte Brontë (1) chart / diagram / whatever (3) Cheryl Schwartz (1) children's lit (1) Chris Speyer (2) Christopher Paolini (27) classism (2) comedy (1) comedy (drama) (2) comics (4) Cornelia Funke (6) correcting myself (1) cover art (7) Cynthia Kadohata (2) D.H. Lawrence (1) Dan Brown (1) Daniel L. Schacter (2) Daniel Loxton (1) Daniel M. Wegner (2) Daniel T. Gilbert (2) David Abram (3) David C. Cook (1) David Levithan (1) Debora Geary (1) Diana Hacker (1) Doug Mauss (3) Douglas Adams (2) Dr. Seuss (1) dragons (3) drama (10) dreams (6) dreams / visions (7) dystopian (1) E.M. Forster (1) early books / book binding / book history / etc. (1) Emily Dickinson (1) environment (1) Eoin Colfer (10) Eric Carle (1) Ernest Hemingway (2) essay (4) Esther M. Friesner (1) fairy tale retold (1) fan art (7) fantasy (126) fantasy -- historical (2) fantasy -- urban (4) fiction (46) fiction -- historical (1) Frank Herbert (4) Fritz Klein (1) G. B. Trudeau (1) gaming (1) Gardner Dozois (4) Garth Nix (8) gender roles (2) Geoff Dyer (2) George Orwell (1) Geronimo Stilton (1) graphic novel (13) H. G. Wells (2) Hank Green (1) Harper Lee (1) Herman Melville (2) historical fantasy (7) historical fiction (29) Hollis Shiloh (1) horror (2) Hugo Petrus (1) humor (2) inconsistencies (4) it ain't real syndrome (2) J. Jacques (1) J. K. Rowling (9) J.D. Salinger (1) J.R.R. Tolkien (8) Jack Dann (4) Jack London (1) James Clavell (7) James Hutchings (1) Jane Austen (15) Jaroslav Pelikan (1) Jean Cassels (1) Jeanne DePrau (1) Jeff Smith (7) Jen Delyth (1) Jenny Erpenbeck (2) Jim Butcher (12) Jim Smiley (1) Joanne Bertin (1) Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1) John Green (8) John R. Erickson (4) John William Waterhouse (1) Jonathan Stroud (3) Juliet Marillier (13) just me rambling (2) juvenile lit (17) K.A. Applegate (2) Kage Baker (1) Kelly McCullough (2) kids literature (2) Kirby Larson (1) Kristen Britain (8) L.M. Montgomery (1) Lem Pew (2) Leo Tolstoy (1) Leslie Silko (4) LGBTQIA (9) LHoD (32) Llewellyn (1) Louise Erdrich (3) made me cry (2) magic (8) manga (1) Marion Zimmer Bradley (1) Mark Twain (1) Mary E. Pearson (1) Mary Nethery (1) masks (1) Meg Cabot (3) memoir (2) Mercedes Lackey (2) Michael Walters (1) movies (13) music / video (7) music / youtube (12) my crushes on fictional characters (7) my predictions (14) mystery (2) mythology (1) names (3) Nancy Butler (1) Nancy Resnick (1) Naomi Novik (2) narrator review (2) Nathaniel Hawthorne (2) Nathaniel Parker (1) Native American (9) natural disasters (1) nature / wildlife (1) non fiction (24) Nora Roberts (1) Northrop Frye (2) notes (6) Octavia E. Butler (1) Pam Jenoff (1) Pamela Frierson (7) Paul M. Kramer (1) Peggy V. Beck (1) Peter S. Beagle (1) pets / animals (4) Philip Pullman (2) poetry (10) questions (16) Rachel Pollack (1) racism (9) Randa Abdel-Fattah (2) Randall Frakes (2) Ray Bradbury (2) reading challenges (12) reading list (3) Rebecca Z Shafir (2) reference book (1) religion / spirituality (11) religion / spirituality / mythology (15) Rick Riordan (8) Robert A. Heinlein (4) Robert Frost (1) Robert M. Pirsig (2) romance (13) Ruth S. Noel (1) Sappho (1) Sarah Darer Littman (3) science fantasy (5) science fiction (66) Sergio Cariello (3) Seth Grahame-Smith (1) sexism (1) sexual violence (2) Shakespeare (13) Sharon Olds (1) Shaun Hutson (1) Sherman Alexie (9) Shirley Jackson (1) short story (5) signed book (1) six word novels (1) Stephenie Meyer (12) Susan Cooper (1) Susan Fletcher (1) Suzanne Collins (1) Tamora Pierce (44) Taylor Mali (1) Terminator (9) Terry Pratchet (3) textbooks (1) Thanhha Lai (1) Tim Curry (1) Tim Hamilton (1) Tom Fischbach (1) totally random (1) tragedy (drama) (5) translated literature (8) Trudi Canavan (1) urban fantasy (9) Ursula K. le Guin (47) vampires (2) Vanessa Sorensen (1) Victor Hugo (1) Virtual Read-Out (2) visions (3) werewolves (3) what I'm reading (9) what's on my nightstand (1) writing to an author (1) written for school (8) Yevgeny Zamyatin (3) young adult (61) Zack Whedon (1)