Monday, March 22, 2010

Answering questions

I found this over at Wide Eyed Smilin, and I just had to do it myself.

Hardback, trade paperback or mass market paperback?

That depends. I do like hardback best, but it's easier to carry the paper backs around on the bus with me. It also takes up less shelf space.

Waterstones, Borders or Amazon?

Well I've never used Waterstones...

I guess I tend to go for Amazon, but I then again I do sometimes like walking into a physical (as opposed to online) bookstore.

Bookmark or dog-ear?

Totally bookmark.

Alphabetize by author, or alphabetize by title, or random?

Semi ordered by subject and genre, semi-random.

Keep, throw away, or sell?

That depends on the book. If it's one that I like I'm keeping it. If it's one that I consider to be poorly written or that may be a classic but that I simply don't like (such as "War of the Worlds" by H. G. Wells) I donate it to my local library.

Keep dust jacket or toss it?

Definitely keep it.

Read with dust jacket or remove it?

I virtually always keep the dust jacket on. The few exceptions are when I'm afraid that the dust jacket might get torn up for whatever reason.

Short story or novel?

I tend to look for novels, but I also really love well written short stories.

Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket?

Honestly that depends on my mood, but I'll generally go for Harry Potter.

Buy or borrow?

Speaking as an almost broke college kid who doesn't have a place of her own yet...

I like to borrow my books from the library.

Buying choice: book reviews, recommendations, or browse?

I like to browse, but I also like to hear what other people recommend. I don't really tend to look at book reviews, though.

Tidy ending or cliffhanger?

It all depends on how it's handled. I can love tidy endings, but I can also love cliffhangers. As I said, it just depends on how well it's written.

Morning reading, afternoon reading, or nighttime reading?

Pretty much anytime. I try not to pick up a book at night, though, if I want to get to bed at a reasonable time.

Stand-alone or series?

I guess I tend to prefer series, so that I can keep reading about characters that I love. Then again, I can also love stand alones.

Favorite series?

Honestly, this changes from week to week, day to day, and even hour to hour. But right this moment I'll say...the "Inheritance" cycle by Christopher Paolini.

Favorite children’s book?

Firstly, see the first part of my answer the last question.

Secondly, does "Confessions of a Closet Catholic" by Sarah Littman count as a children's book? It's in the juvenile section of my local library...

Favorite YA book?

Ditto on what I've said before about it being difficult to choose...so difficult, in fact, that I'm not even gonna try to answer this question!

Ok, ok, ok. So, if you insist. I'll just say "Dragon Rider" by Cornelia Funke. But mark my words, my favorite will change according to my fickle mood.

Favorite book no one has heard of?

Offhand, I'd say one of Juliet Marillier's books. No, I'm not gonna specify which one, and my favorite is liable to change without notice.

Favorite book to re-read?

Agh! I think I've answered enough questions about favorites.

Do you ever smell books?

Will I sound like a weirdo if I say yes?

Do you ever read primary source documents like letters or diaries?

Virtually never.

What are you reading right now?

Well I finished "The Telling" by Ursula K. le Guin today, and I'm also sort of reading Genesis on Kindle.

By the way, I get Kindle for free on my handy dandy little iPhone. It is so cool. I have to pay for the books, but I can get some of them for like $1, or even free.

What are you reading next?

I don't know. I can't make up my mind. I might randomly pick up a book, and make my decision that way.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hee hee, I smell books too!

Dancing With Fey said...

I knew I wasn't the only one. :)

Labels

a book turned into something else (11) adult (67) Alaya Dawn Johnson (2) Andre Norton (1) Andy MacDonald (1) Angie Sage (5) Anita Diamant (3) Anne McCaffrey (3) Aric McKeown (2) art (2) audio book (10) Avi (1) banned / challenged books (7) Bible (8) Bill Amend (1) Bill Martin Jr. (1) Bill Wisher (1) book mending (1) book review (23) book signings (1) Brendan Fraser (1) Brian Jacques (7) C.S. Lewis (3) captive narrative (2) Caroline B. Cooney (2) Catherine Murdock (1) Charles Dickens (1) Charles Vess (4) Charlotte Brontë (1) chart / diagram / whatever (3) Cheryl Schwartz (1) children's lit (1) Chris Speyer (2) Christopher Paolini (27) classism (2) comedy (1) comedy (drama) (2) comics (4) Cornelia Funke (6) correcting myself (1) cover art (7) Cynthia Kadohata (2) D.H. Lawrence (1) Dan Brown (1) Daniel L. Schacter (2) Daniel Loxton (1) Daniel M. Wegner (2) Daniel T. Gilbert (2) David Abram (3) David C. Cook (1) David Levithan (1) Debora Geary (1) Diana Hacker (1) Doug Mauss (3) Douglas Adams (2) Dr. Seuss (1) dragons (3) drama (10) dreams (6) dreams / visions (7) dystopian (1) E.M. Forster (1) early books / book binding / book history / etc. (1) Emily Dickinson (1) environment (1) Eoin Colfer (10) Eric Carle (1) Ernest Hemingway (2) essay (4) Esther M. Friesner (1) fairy tale retold (1) fan art (7) fantasy (126) fantasy -- historical (2) fantasy -- urban (4) fiction (46) fiction -- historical (1) Frank Herbert (4) Fritz Klein (1) G. B. Trudeau (1) gaming (1) Gardner Dozois (4) Garth Nix (8) gender roles (2) Geoff Dyer (2) George Orwell (1) Geronimo Stilton (1) graphic novel (13) H. G. Wells (2) Hank Green (1) Harper Lee (1) Herman Melville (2) historical fantasy (7) historical fiction (29) Hollis Shiloh (1) horror (2) Hugo Petrus (1) humor (2) inconsistencies (4) it ain't real syndrome (2) J. Jacques (1) J. K. Rowling (9) J.D. Salinger (1) J.R.R. Tolkien (8) Jack Dann (4) Jack London (1) James Clavell (7) James Hutchings (1) Jane Austen (15) Jaroslav Pelikan (1) Jean Cassels (1) Jeanne DePrau (1) Jeff Smith (7) Jen Delyth (1) Jenny Erpenbeck (2) Jim Butcher (12) Jim Smiley (1) Joanne Bertin (1) Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1) John Green (8) John R. Erickson (4) John William Waterhouse (1) Jonathan Stroud (3) Juliet Marillier (13) just me rambling (2) juvenile lit (17) K.A. Applegate (2) Kage Baker (1) Kelly McCullough (2) kids literature (2) Kirby Larson (1) Kristen Britain (8) L.M. Montgomery (1) Lem Pew (2) Leo Tolstoy (1) Leslie Silko (4) LGBTQIA (9) LHoD (32) Llewellyn (1) Louise Erdrich (3) made me cry (2) magic (8) manga (1) Marion Zimmer Bradley (1) Mark Twain (1) Mary E. Pearson (1) Mary Nethery (1) masks (1) Meg Cabot (3) memoir (2) Mercedes Lackey (2) Michael Walters (1) movies (13) music / video (7) music / youtube (12) my crushes on fictional characters (7) my predictions (14) mystery (2) mythology (1) names (3) Nancy Butler (1) Nancy Resnick (1) Naomi Novik (2) narrator review (2) Nathaniel Hawthorne (2) Nathaniel Parker (1) Native American (9) natural disasters (1) nature / wildlife (1) non fiction (24) Nora Roberts (1) Northrop Frye (2) notes (6) Octavia E. Butler (1) Pam Jenoff (1) Pamela Frierson (7) Paul M. Kramer (1) Peggy V. Beck (1) Peter S. Beagle (1) pets / animals (4) Philip Pullman (2) poetry (10) questions (16) Rachel Pollack (1) racism (9) Randa Abdel-Fattah (2) Randall Frakes (2) Ray Bradbury (2) reading challenges (12) reading list (3) Rebecca Z Shafir (2) reference book (1) religion / spirituality (11) religion / spirituality / mythology (15) Rick Riordan (8) Robert A. Heinlein (4) Robert Frost (1) Robert M. Pirsig (2) romance (13) Ruth S. Noel (1) Sappho (1) Sarah Darer Littman (3) science fantasy (5) science fiction (66) Sergio Cariello (3) Seth Grahame-Smith (1) sexism (1) sexual violence (2) Shakespeare (13) Sharon Olds (1) Shaun Hutson (1) Sherman Alexie (9) Shirley Jackson (1) short story (5) signed book (1) six word novels (1) Stephenie Meyer (12) Susan Cooper (1) Susan Fletcher (1) Suzanne Collins (1) Tamora Pierce (44) Taylor Mali (1) Terminator (9) Terry Pratchet (3) textbooks (1) Thanhha Lai (1) Tim Curry (1) Tim Hamilton (1) Tom Fischbach (1) totally random (1) tragedy (drama) (5) translated literature (8) Trudi Canavan (1) urban fantasy (9) Ursula K. le Guin (47) vampires (2) Vanessa Sorensen (1) Victor Hugo (1) Virtual Read-Out (2) visions (3) werewolves (3) what I'm reading (9) what's on my nightstand (1) writing to an author (1) written for school (8) Yevgeny Zamyatin (3) young adult (61) Zack Whedon (1)